Sunday 31 January 2016

Review Three: 'The Gunslinger' by Stephen King.

Okay, its been a while since I've posted. I haven't given up on this resolution just yet, though it may seem that way. I was, in fact, finishing up a piece of research I had been working on regarding Ukraine's international relations. Not exactly a page turner, but there we have it. The last book I finished was 'The Gunslinger'. The reason I rushed through this one was to give myself a bit more free time to write up my work, it being a short book...too short, but I'll get to that later.

I know this series is supposed to be shit hot and a must read. It didn't tickle my fancy.     



Its been a few weeks since I finished this so I'll make this brief as details elude me. When I finished the book I was left a little dissatisfied. On voicing my feelings I was told that the series really takes off now, meaning book two etc. Not sure what good that is to anyone, as this all felt a little flat. Yes, I was a smidgen interested, and yes I'll probably read the rest, but its not exactly sucked me in. I didn't believe the characters or almost any of the relationships. The kid and the girl, not sure what was happening with them at all. Sure, I was told all this wonderful stuff, but I didn't see it and I didn't feel it (see my too short comment above). If you asked me this minute to categorize this book I wouldn't know how to respond. Maybe that's the point and I'm too dim to get it, but I've studied enough English Literature and polished up many a turd essay on the subject to whiff bullshit.

All in all, the book was fine, not mind blowing but short and easy to read, if not a bit...meh (if you'll pardon my traveling back to 2010 language).

'The Gunslinger' deserves a 2/5. Read it, but only to get to the meaty stuff. If the rest are bollocks I'll be an unhappy camper.

Next time:
Apologies for this late and very short review, everyone. I was finishing that bloody research and Uni has restarted so I'm somewhat, but not really, busy. I'm reading a 'School of Life' book at the moment, so that will be a change of pace.

I also fancy posting up a little review of one of my favorite TV shows of all time. 

K.D out.

No comments:

Post a Comment